Spectrum Game Lists Trends - Wednesday 14th of December 2005
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey – Spectrum Gaming Group, aninternational gaming consultancy, has listed 21 of the most important trendsthat the global casino industry needs to monitor in 2006.
The trends cover most aspects of commercial and tribal casinos, fromregulation to food and beverage, and from slots to tables.
"Many of the trends are new to the list, from communal gaming to GulfCoast reconstruction," said Michael Pollock, a Spectrum managing director. "Afew trends are evolutionary and will be perennials, such as gaming's evolutioninto mainstream entertainment. Other trends not listed here, such as thepotential marriage between Internet gaming and public gaming companies, arecontinually monitored for future inclusion."
Some related trends from last year's list have been consolidated. Forexample, the popularity of poker and other table games is a sub-set of theindustry's effort to reach younger demographics.
New Jersey-based Spectrum serves clients fromAtlantic City and Harrisburg to Singapore, Macau and beyond in areas thatrange from due-diligence and background investigations to economic andfeasibility studies. Spectrum publishes Michael Pollock's Gaming IndustryObserver, an award-winning newsletter.
Many of these trends are analyzed in archived copies of Gaming IndustryObserver. This alphabetized list, with additional commentary, will appear inthe next issue:
* Accelerated expansion of U.S.-based companies overseas.
* Asia's continued growth.
* Communal gaming, in which multiple players can play in same bonus round.
* Continued cashless evolution, electronic funds transfers.
* Continued consolidation among operators, suppliers.
* Continued conversion of racetracks to racinos.
* Continued push for tax rates above 50 percent in new jurisdictions, coupled with push-back by operators against high tax rates.
* Evolution of gaming companies into entertainment providers.
* Expansion by tribal casinos and private-equity firms into commercial operations.
* Exporting Las Vegas brands and models to other jurisdictions.
* Growing federal resistance against Indian tribes seeking casinos off reservation.
* Growth of conventions in destination markets.
* Gulf Coast reconstruction to create a true southern destination resort experience.
* Hotel-room growth, use as marketing tool.
* New technology in stepper slots to make them downloadable-ready.
* Outsourcing of food-and-beverage, partnership with signature restaurants.
* Racino evolution from slots-only to slots and tables - live or electronic.
* Reaching younger, more diverse demographics.
* Retail and spa development.
* Tribal operators pursuing management contracts with other tribal casinos.
* Widespread acceptance of RFID chip tracking and wager recognition in table games.
Other news from around the same time
Columnist Jeff Simpson: On Why Wynn is Smiling - Monday 6th of February 2006
p>LAS VEGAS, Nevada Steve Wynn is feeling good these days. With good news in Las Vegas and major pl....
Winward Gaming Group Launches SlotsVillage.com - Wednesday 14th of December 2005
Long-time established online casino giant Winward Gaming Group has weighed into the growing slots....
Powerball Grows to $112 Million - Wednesday 14th of December 2005
UNITED STATES – The Powerball jackpot continues togrow. No one hit the grand prize Saturday, b....
Mega Million Jackpot Grows to $33 Million - Wednesday 14th of December 2005
UNITED STATES –- The jackpot in Mega Millions isgrowing and there is no shortage of winners! ....
Spectre Gaming Goes Live in Florida - Wednesday 14th of December 2005
EL CAJON, California – Spectre Gaming, Inc.(OTC Bulletin Board: SGMG) announced today it has go....
Poker TV Network Plans Exchange Move - Wednesday 14th of December 2005
LAS VEGAS – Poker TV Network, Inc.(Pink Sheets: PKTV) announced today that they intend to explo....
Wynn Departs Singapore Bidding - Monday 6th of February 2006
Wynn Resorts Ltd. has withdrawn from bidding for one of the two proposed gaming-resort sites in Sing....
CelebPoker.com Offers $100,000 Pot - Tuesday 13th of December 2005
There is no secret that poker has been massive in 2005. With the big televised events and huge pr....
Inside Gaming: Hitting the Road, Filling Rooms in Las Vegas - Tuesday 13th of December 2005
Contrary to conventional wisdom, a new survey done for the consulting firm Deloitte & Touche found ....
Control Board Report: State Casino Win Sets Record - Monday 6th of February 2006
For the second time this year, Nevada casinos set a record for the most money ever won from customer....