Inquiry into casino deal demanded - Tuesday 15th of May 2007

Bournemouth Borough Council signed the contract with Trevor Osborne Property Group on 3 May as voting was under way.

On coming into power, the new Tory administration vowed to stop the casino plan, only to find out later that the deal had already been signed.

Tory MP Tobias Ellwood has demanded an inquiry into the "shocking move".

Former deputy leader Adrian Fudge

It could cost the newly-elected Tory council as much as £6m to get out of the contract if it decides to halt the controversial town centre casino scheme.

In an open letter to the council, Mr Ellwood, the MP for Bournemouth East, said it was "widely expected" that the Lib Dems might lose power, which made the timing of the multi-million pound contract all the more "worrying".

The Conservatives won control of Bournemouth Borough Council in a landslide victory from the Liberal Democrats last week, gaining 23 seats to make a total of 41, while the Lib Dems dropped from 30 seats to seven.

Local Tory councillors, who used the casino issue in their election campaign, insist they were always opposed to the casino plans.

But former Lib Dem deputy leader of the council Adrian Fudge called the row "pure electioneering and political posturing" and said Tory councillors in opposition had not formally objected to the casino over the past three years.

He added: "Why didnt they do their job as opposition and move against this at a much earlier date?"

The contract was signed on election day to meet the deadline for the casino to obtain a licence, he said.

Mr Fudge said the casino was only 6% of the scheme, which would bring up to £60m private investment to the Dorset town and include restaurants, a family attraction, a tourist information centre and a £13m face-lift for the grade II listed Pavilion.

Other news from around the same time

Casinos - Tuesday 15th of May 2007

Asked if the Prime Ministers comments earlier today implied that Blackpool could now get a casino, a....


Swansea predicted to be UK’s leisure hotspot - Tuesday 15th of May 2007

THE owner of Wales’ newest casino yesterday boasted it would become the country’s number one leisure....


CITYS NEW CASINO SET FOR SEPTEMBER OPENING DATE - Tuesday 15th of May 2007

Aspers Casino in Swansea will open its doors to the public for the first time on September 6.Boss Da....


Gambling chief at a loss over casino - Tuesday 15th of May 2007

THE minister in charge of gambling has admitted the government has `not got a position on how to tak....


Genting Says Latest Casino Will Make It Worlds Top 3 - Wednesday 13th of December 2006

Genting Bhd., the Malaysian gaming operator thats expanding into Singapore, said revenue from its la....


New Jersey casino revenue rises even as 1 casino shuts doors - Wednesday 13th of December 2006

New Jerseys casinos brought in more in November than they did in the same month last year, even thou....


Online gambling closer to legalisation - Wednesday 13th of December 2006

Cabinets approval last week of the Draft Gambling Amendment Bill brings legal online and cellphone g....


PUBLISHING and Broadcasting Ltd (PBL) has been unsuccessful in obtaining a casino licence from the Singapore government, as part of the Eighth Wonder Asia syndicate. - Wednesday 13th of December 2006

Betting giant Ladbrokes is believed to be in talks with Britains biggest racecourse operator about a....


Packer loses on casino bid - Wednesday 13th of December 2006

PUBLISHING and Broadcasting Ltd (PBL) has been unsuccessful in obtaining a casino licence from the S....


Four held for casino van heist - Wednesday 13th of December 2006

Four men charged in connection with the –1.6 million holdup in September of an armored van at a ca....