Critics of Trump SoHo project call for shutdown - Monday 28th of January 2008
The day after a crane accident at the Trump SoHo complex killed one worker and injured three others, some city officials and neighborhood groups said the project should have been shut down completely after a spate of safety violations in recent months.
"When a building has a major violation, it has to be resolved quickly," said Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer, noting that the Building Department hearing on October crane safety violations is scheduled for next week.
"We close down restaurants for fruit fly violations quicker than we shut down potentially dangerous construction sites," Stringer said.
Building officials say that every hearing for previous violations related to the Trump SoHo project were scheduled within 90 days, as is the agencys general practice. The project has been shut down by the city four times since September, but never for more than nine days, according to city building records.
Mondays accident killed Yurly Vanchytskyy of Brooklyn, who a neighbor said emigrated from the Ukraine almost 20 years ago. Vanchytskyy, 54, fell 40 stories when the floor beneath him and three other workers buckled as they poured concrete from a crane.
"No matter what - rain or shine - he was going to work," said a neighbor, Muhammad Tambra, 52. "Monday through Friday, he was out at 5 oclock in the morning."
The city halted work indefinitely and issued contractor Bovis Lend Lease four violations after the fall. Bovis and DiFama Concrete of Brooklyn had been issued 11 others last year in connection with the Donald Trump hotel-condominium tower. Bovis was also the contractor for the demolition of the former Deutsche Bank Building when a fire broke out last August, killing two firefighters.
The violations include unsafe crane operation and failing to notify the city when a crane hit a neighboring building in October, as well as storing materials too close to the edge of the building on the 39th floor on Jan. 5.
Trump officials referred questions to Bovis. A spokeswoman for the contractor did not return a phone call seeking comment yesterday, although the company issued a statement saying it intends to conduct its own investigation of the accident.
"They will not be allowed to go back to work until theyve demonstrated to us what theyre going to do to keep this site safe," Buildings Commissioner Patricia Lancaster said yesterday.
But a partial evacuation order of some floors of three surrounding buildings will be lifted once the contractor installs safety netting and scaffolding to catch any loose debris, Department of Buildings spokeswoman Kate Lindquist said.
The Trump SoHo project, first announced on "The Apprentice" in 2006, has been opposed by preservationists and neighborhood groups, which have complained the building was going up too fast and using unsafe construction practices.
"Trump is trying to turn SoHo into Las Vegas and Atlantic City," said Sean Sweeney, director of the SoHo Alliance.
One woman whose office looks out onto the construction site said people who work and live nearby have long worried the project is dangerous.
"Everything they do at this building isnt safe," said Flavia Vogt, 34, of Hempstead.
The citys largest contractors group, the Building Trades Employers Association, announced yesterday that it will convene a meeting to discuss improving safety for general and concrete construction companies.
Other news from around the same time
Dubai World to boost MGM offer-report - Monday 28th of January 2008
NEW YORK, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Dubai World and casino operator MGM Mirage are set to boost their joint....
High court reverses plea in casino chips case - Monday 28th of January 2008
The Missouri Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that defrauding a casino with its own gambling chips is no ....
Betting industry urges EU action vs. German ban - Monday 28th of January 2008
Europes online gaming industry filed a complaint with the European Commission on Tuesday, saying Ger....
Challenge to German gambling ban - Monday 28th of January 2008
Under the law which came into force on 1 January, online gaming and betting are prohibited, although....
Banks attack conflicting US gambling rules - Saturday 22nd of December 2007
Banking lobbyists are warning the US Treasury that regulations proposed in the wake of last years sw....
London Underground censors bookies bingo ads - Saturday 22nd of December 2007
Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has run into trouble with its latest ad campaign. Officials at London Un....
Bookies may part with SIS stake - Friday 21st of December 2007
Three of Britains biggest bookmakers are considering offering to sell around half of their controlli....
Fortuna buys Croatian betting firm Favorit - Friday 21st of December 2007
Betting company Fortuna has expanded its activities to the Croatian odds betting market where it has....
LAS VEGAS GOLF IN THE ORIENT - Friday 21st of December 2007
With major changes in the plans for the Macau gaming industry comes the necessity to have an interna....
Dion ends five-year run at Las Vegas casino - Friday 21st of December 2007
Celine Dion has called it a wrap at Caesars Palace, acknowledging in her final show that pregnancy a....