Simple Blackjack Strategy
Basic Blackjack Rules
- The objective of the game is to beat the dealer by getting 21 or closer to 21 than him.
- If the value of your cards is closer to 21 than the dealer's, you win the same amount that you bet.
- If you have blackjack, you win 3 to 2 times your bet (example - a $2 bet will win $3), as long as the dealer does not also have blackjack.
- Aces count as either 1 or 11, face cards as 10, and remaining cards according to their face values.
- Because you can play an Ace either way, a hand with an ace is called a soft hand.
- If the total of your cards is over 21, you'll bust and lose your bet.
- If you have the same card total as the dealer, from 17 and up, no one wins and you get your bet back in a push.
- Blackjack beats a count of 21.
Hit / Draw
You can draw additional card(s) until you stand or bust.
If you are content with your first two cards, you would then stand and not take more cards.
If you have been dealt two cards and think that a third card may give you a chance to beat the dealer's hand, you can "Double Down."
Your bet is doubled and you can draw only one additional card.
If your 1st 2 cards are the same value, you can "Split" them, creating two separate hands, placing a second bet of equal value and drawing cards as usual.
- Insurance is not recommended
- Only increase your bets when you are winning
- Note that at many online casinos, if you split two aces, you get only one additional card for each hand.
- If you split two aces and one of your hands totals 21, this is not blackjack, but 21.
- At some online casinos, you cannot split a split hand.
- At many online casinos, The Dealer takes their 2nd card once the player has finished their hand.